9.22.2010

CSN Stores: Food Mill Review


food mill 

Remember the review I promised here....it is ready!  I LOVE CSN stores! You can shop here and get ANYTHING you could ever want. When CSN offered me the opportunity to review any item from the 200+ stores....I must admit I was overwhelmed, but thought long and hard about what I wanted to review. I decided to review a few kitchen items.

My Cuisinox Food Mill arrived quickly after placing my online order.  I received an email for confirmation and a tracking link so I could quickly locate my package.  (I think that was my favorite part!)  Once my Food Mill arrived I washed it and starting preparations for making APPLE BUTTER!!!!!  What is a Food Mill?

A food mill (also called passatutto, purée sieve, moulinette, mouli légumes, or passe-vite) is a food preparation utensil for mashing and sieving soft foods. Typically, a food mill consists of three parts: a bowl, a bottom plate with holes like those in a colander, and a crank fitted with a bent metal blade which crushes the food and forces it through the holes in the bottom plate as the crank is turned. The bottom plate may be a permanent part of the device, or interchangeable plates with different hole sizes may be supplied. Three corrugated feet on the base, or two ears on the rim plus the handle, fit on the rim of a cooking pot and hold the mill in position over it.

My Food Mill is self explanatory and easy to use.  After I cooked my apples (peels on) I placed them in the Food Mill and turned the crank.  Yes, it was that easy.  It quickly and efficiently cleaned the apples.  I just had to throw away (aka compost) the peels....the ones I didn't snack on.  Then it was time for clean up.  Simply wash in hot soapy water and you are finished!

apples

fm

fd2

ab

Pictued above, apple juice (YUMMO) and Apple Butter
Here is the recipe I used to make my Apple Butter.  Thanks Ken!!  I am assuming this isn't (or wasn't) a secret family recipe!

Cook down your apples into a sauce.  I used a "chef's pot" which is a Teflon lined deep fryer of sorts, cooked at low temperature.


Once you have your apples cooked down use a cheese cloth strainer to drain the majority of the juice (you can save the juice and make jelly or apple juice if you want). Strain enough apples to make 7 cups of apple sauce.  Then place in your Food Mill, process.  Finally, add the following to the sauce while hot...

2 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp - heaping - of ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp - heaping - ground cloves
1/2 tsp - heaping - salt
1/4 tsp - LEVEL - nutmeg
*I also added a random amount of All Spice and now that I am re-reading the recipe forgot the salt.  It tastes great though!!!

Now let the sauce/butter simmer lightly (200 - 210) degrees for at least an hour or as much as 2 or 3, stirring frequently.  OR   I cooked in my crockpot for a few hours. 
Now you can process the butter into jars - leave 1/4 inch head space - hot water bath for 20 minutes.

75 USES for a Food Mill

Here is a step by step process for Applesauce and Apple Butter that I like

CSN Stores giftcard was provided to me free of charge compliments of CSN Stores. All opinions and thoughts expressed within this review are my own and are in no way influenced by anyone.
Pin It

No comments: